The visa is the document granted by the Brazilian Consular Representations abroad that allows the entry and residence of foreigners in the national territory, provided that the conditions established by law have been fulfilled.

To apply for a visa, foreigners must send the completed visa application form to the Consulate, a valid travel document, proof of payment of consular fees, International Immunization Records - when necessary - and other documents specific to the type of visa requested. To apply for a Brazilian Visa, click here.

Types of visa:

VITEM IV (Student)

This type of visa is intended for foreign students travelling to Brazil to undertake the following activities: regular courses, study exchange or research exchange.

  • Regular courses comprise primary and secondary levels of education; undergraduate and postgraduate degrees (specialisation, master's and doctor's degrees); technical and language courses. Regular courses must be offered by education institutions that hold a Corporate Taxpayer Identification Number (CNPJ);
  • Study or research exchanges involve the improvement of academic qualification by sharing knowledge and experiences within the academic environment, such as: participation in "sandwich" and university collaboration programmes, carrying out part of the master's / doctor's research, doing one's compulsory undergraduate / postgraduate study module abroad (commonly called "year abroad", often the third year);
  • Foreign nationals travelling to Brazil for post-doctoral research / studies must apply for a VITEM I, not a VITEM IV, as they are classified as researchers, not students;
  • For studies or exchanges with duration of up to 90 days, the applicant must request a Visitor Visa (VIVIS).


VITEM I (Academic research, scientific cooperation, academic extension programmes, visiting professors).

VITEM I based on Normative Resolution 27/2018:

This type of visa may be granted to researchers, scientists and visiting professors – with no employment relationship with a Brazilian institution – for the purposes of academic research, scientific cooperation, academic extension programmes and teaching, as long as the stay is set to last longer than 90 days.

If the stay does not exceed 90 days, a Visitor Visa (VIVIS) must be requested.

VITEM I – RN27 holders are strictly forbidden to practise any paid work in Brazil, but are allowed to receive payments from the government, a Brazilian employer or a private entity for the purposes of daily allowances, compensation or travel expenses, as well as to receive cash prizes in competitions in the science, technology and innovation fields.

VITEM I based on Normative Resolution 24/2018:

This type of visa may be granted to researchers, scientists and visiting professors – with employment relationship with a Brazilian institution – regardless of the intended length of stay.

VITEM I – RN24 applications are subject to prior approval by the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and National Security. The process must be initiated in Brazil, by the sponsoring institution (on behalf of the applicant), with submission of the pertinent application and supporting documentation to that Ministry. Once the procedure in Brazil is concluded and approved, the authorisation will be transmitted to the Consulate via the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Only then will the applicant be able to proceed and lodge the visa application itself.



All international students living in Brazil must issue two documents upon arrival:

a) Foreign Identity Card (RNM) that contains the National Foreigner Registry Number;
b) Comprovante de Pessoa Física (CPF);

The Foreign Identity Card is issued by the Federal Police and currently have an estimated cost of $150. This amount is paid directly by the Federal Police after completing an online form and scheduling an interview (the process is very similar to the visa issuance process). This procedure must be done in 30 days after arrival in Brazil.

The CPF registration form must be requested at the post office ando also to pay a fee of approximately R$10.
The completed form must be delivered to an agency of the Revenue Service where the card will be issued.