The Mackenzie Historical and Cultural Center (CHCM) occupies the Mackenzie Building, building 1. It was built between the years 1894/1896 to host the country’s first private Engineering School, reflecting the American patterns. Since the 1990’s, the property has been declared a monument of São Paulo´s Historical and Cultural heritage, by the body of state preservation CONDEPHAAT and municipal CONPRESP. Between the years of 2001/2004, it was refurbished and adapted to its new use.
Apart from promoting the institution´s memory preservation – through the preservation of its collection and architecture, with current technical-scientific principles of museography, museology and preventive conservation – the CHCM is also a historical and cultural living space, with a diverse and constant schedule.